An Air-Tight Assembly critical for many industriesHermetic seals maintain a positive, impermeable boundary between process systems and unwanted exposure or contamination while still allowing for flexibility, expansion, and contraction in a controlled manner. These air-tight assemblies are ideal for cleanrooms, EPA clean-air regulations compliance, or when personnel safety is necessary. Hermetic bellows are available in many sizes, different metallurgies for various applications, and are capable of a high range of travel for applications requiring a long stroke. Hermetic bellows effectively seal systems in high-stakes applications where a small leak could endanger personnel, risk companies’ capital, reputations, and future business. When quality and reliability matter, use only the best quality custom designed edge-welded hermetic bellows for every application.
Defining features of Hermetic BellowsHermetic bellows are inherently different and offer numerous advantages over traditional mechanical seals. Those advantages include:
- No elastomers to wear or replace; hermetic bellows are relatively maintenance-free and leak-free for many life cycles.
- Hermetic bellows are all-metal, corrosion-resistant materials optimized for each application to keep wetted surfaces in like-new condition at all times.
- Precise linear motion to eliminate column instability or “bellows squirm.”
- Flexaseal’s bellows are leak-tight to a minimum of 1 x 10-9 cubic centimeters per second (scc/sec.)
- Compact nesting capabilities are inherent to edge-welded hermetic bellows, providing a long cycle life and a wide range of travel.
Typical applications for Hermetic BellowsHermetic bellows serve countless applications across many industries. Hermetic bellows offer a reliable and efficient solution whenever a system demands a positive, leak-tight seal in a dynamic environment.
- Filter Dryers – A gas-tight seal is used with CFC and HCFC refrigerant dryers to achieve zero leakage systems.
- Freeze Dryers – Bellows seals are used in vacuum environments to maintain high purity standards.
- Compressors – Bellows seals eliminate leakage past traditional dynamic seals. Bellows seals on compressor valve stems hermetically seal the valve while still allowing for axial movement, maintaining a zero-leakage compressor.
- Volume Compensators – Hermetic bellows devices prevent cavitation by maintaining positive pressure during volume fluctuations.
- Hydraulic or Pneumatic Actuators – Hermetic bellows can act as a piston to convert fluid pressure into linear motion, particularly in high-pressure applications where a dynamic seal could fail or critical systems where any leakage is unacceptable.
- Vibration Dampers – Hermetic bellows are highly effective at isolating vibration.
- Semiconductor and Aerospace Manufacturing – Industries that use ultra-high systems may incorporate manipulators or linear translators, corrosive chemical washes, high-energy plasma etching, wafer production, and intense electromagnetic radiation in their manufacturing processes. Sealed areas and clean rooms can use hermetic equipment to eliminate personal and environmental exposure.
- Hazardous Materials – Hermetic bellows devices provide a positive boundary when handling radioactive material, toxic emissions, and carcinogenic by-products.
- Energy Generation – Hermetic bellows provide a leak-free boundary between process systems in heat exchangers like boilers or condensers and are used as sealing solutions for extreme pressures and temperatures, such as cryogenic applications.
- Pharmaceutical Processing – Hermetic bellows devices are ideal for containing biohazardous material and eliminating micro contamination.