Dual Cartridge Mechanical Seal Designed to Run Dry With Gas Lubrication
The mechanical seal style GFR/GFL offers a number of benefits over liquid lubricated dual seal for API plans 53 and 54. These include lower maintenance costs for the seal and support system since there is no barrier fluid to fill and the ability to retain 100% product purity through the use of nitrogen as a lubricant.
How the Flexaseal GFR and GFL Operate
- Inert gas enters in the wide, deeper grooves on the OD of the rotating seal ring face.
- As the shaft rotates, the gas compresses as it passes through the narrowing of the seal ring’s spiral grooves.
- The resultant gas film pressure provides an opening force slightly greater than the net closing forces, which cause the faces to separate and not contact.
Advantages of non-contacting dual gas seal versus a liquid-lubricated dual seal for API 682 Plans 53 and 54:
- Extended seal life due to non-contacting seal faces eliminating friction and wear
- Non-contacting faces significantly reduce the amount of heat buildup at the faces, external cooling is not necessary
- Designed to run dry; excellent for batch run operations like tank unloading when operators neglect to shut pump down
- No pumping ring is necessary to circulate barrier fluid
- Simple support system – utilizes API 682 Plan 74 instead of more complex Plans 53 or 54, lowering the cost of operation and maintenance of the seal support system
- Zero emissions just like seals using a pressurized liquid barrier fluid system
- 100% product purity: Nitrogen is clean and inert, eliminating product/barrier fluid compatibility issues
- Reduced power consumption
Materials of Construction
|Faces:||Premium grade resin impregnated carbon, sintered silicon carbide|
|Elastomers:||Viton®, Aflas®, nitrile, ethylene propylene, neoprene, and perfluoroelastomers|
|Metallurgy:||316 SS (standard construction). Also available in Hastelloy® C276|
|Size:||1 3/8″, 1 3/4″, 1 7/8″, 2 1/8″, 2 1/2″, 2 5/8″ Standard and Big Bore Options|
|Temperature:||Up to 390°F (200°C)|
|GFR:||Clockwise Rotation (suitable for all ANSI B73 pumps)|
|Pressures:||Min. Barrier Gas Pressure: 87 PSI (6 bar)
Max. Barrier Gas Pressure: 180 PSI (12.5 bar)
Barrier Gas Pressure must be maintained
45 PSI (3 bar) above seal chamber pressure
For more information on Style GFR/GFL
Depending on your specific needs and application, Flexaseal can help you identify the ideal products. Contact us to tell us about your needs and request a quote.