Gas Lubricated Non-Contacting Dual Cartridge Seal
Mechanical Seal Style GFR/GFL
How the Flex-A-Seal GFR and GFL Operate
- Inert gas enters in the wide, deeper grooves on the OD of the rotating seal ring face.
- As the shaft rotates, the gas compresses as it passes through the narrowing of the seal ring’s spiral grooves.
- The resultant gas film pressure provides an opening force slightly greater than the net closing forces, which cause the faces to separate and not contact.
Advantages of non-contacting dual gas seal versus a liquid-lubricated dual seal for API plans 53 and 54:
- Extended seal life due to non-contacting seal faces eliminating friction and wear
- Non-contacting faces significantly reduce the amount of heat buildup at the faces, external cooling is not necessary
- Designed to run dry; excellent for batch run operations like tank unloading when operators neglect to shut pump down
- No pumping ring is necessary to circulate barrier fluid
- Simple support system – utilizes API Plan 74 instead of more complex Plans 53 or 54, lowering the cost of operation and maintenance of the seal support system
- Zero emissions just like seals using a pressurized liquid barrier fluid system
- 100% product purity: Nitrogen is clean and inert, eliminating product/barrier fluid compatibility issues
- Reduced power consumption
Materials of Construction
|Faces:||Premium grade resin impregnated carbon, sintered silicon carbide|
|Elastomers:||Viton®, Aflas®, nitrile, ethylene propylene, neoprene, and perfluoroelastomers|
|Metallurgy:||316 SS (standard construction). Also available in Hastelloy® C276|
|Size:||1 3/8″, 1 3/4″, 1 7/8″, 2 1/8″, 2 1/2″, 2 5/8″ Standard and Big Bore Options|
|Temperature:||Up to 390°F (200°C)|
|GFR:||Clockwise Rotation (suitable for all ANSI B73 pumps)|
|Pressures:||Min. Barrier Gas Pressure: 87 PSI (6 bar)|
Max. Barrier Gas Pressure: 180 PSI (12.5 bar)
Barrier Gas Pressure must be maintained
45 PSI (3 bar) above seal chamber pressure
For more information on Style GFR/GFL
Depending on your specific needs and application, Flex-A-Seal can help you identify the ideal products. Contact us to tell us about your needs and request a quote.